Shock Poll: 41% Say California Should Be An Independent Country; 53% Self-Identify as "Californian" first and foremost

The Yes California Independence Campaign, recently covered by the LA Times, Vice News, and Newsy, released today two public opinion polls the organization commissioned on the social media platform Twitter over the past month, saying the results of the poll are very encouraging and foretell a great political movement of California’s millennials and the next generation of Californians.

Poll_8912_Independent_Country.PNGOver a three-day window, Yes California surveyed 8,912 Californians on the question “Should California be an independent country?” The responses came in from across the state, from both urban and rural communities, from coastal to inland regions, and from San Diego to Eureka.

“It’s a comparatively large and fairly diverse sample size of Californians, considering the sheer number of responses,” Louis Marinelli, the president of Yes California said. The 8,912-person sample size of California’s population of 39.1 million gives the random poll a margin of error of 1.04% with a 95% confidence level according to Raosoft, Inc.

Statistical analysis aside, Yes California believes the results foretell a burgeoning sentiment within California. The following statement can be attributed to Louis Marinelli, president of Yes California:

“Political movements in this country start with the youth. The youth are the most open-minded, the most tolerant, the most willing to break down barriers and do what has been said to be impossible. We witnessed this in the struggle for civil rights for African Americans and for equal rights for gay and lesbian Americans, and we are witnessing it now in the Bernie Sanders political revolution.”

“This poll tells us that millennials – those of us in our 20s and early 30s – are open to California becoming its own country because 40% of Twitter users are under the age of 35. The other 60% are our parents and grandparents who say that California secession is unconstitutional. They should be reminded that their parents stood in the way of the youth movement for African American and LGBT civil rights in the 60s and 70s. Then that youth movement became the leaders of the country and today we have civil rights for African Americans and marriage equality in all fifty states.”

“Now look at the results of our poll – 41% say California should be an independent country – what is going to happen when the millennials who support California independence, as evidenced by our poll, become the leaders of California? What is going to happen when the children of these millennials become voters? Various other polls show that the country is the most divided it has been since the Civil War, that faith in the American Government is at record lows, and that the country itself is headed in the wrong direction. Because of all this, our poll shows that the Yes California campaign is on the forefront of the next major political movement to take hold in California.”


The second poll, conducted in January with a relatively smaller sample size and a margin of error of 2.47% asked 1,574 Californians how they identified themselves first and foremost. Respondents were to choose between “Californian” or “American”. In that Yes California poll, a majority – 53% – self-identified “first and foremost” as a Californian. Yes California believes it makes sense for Californians to feel this way, considering the great geographic separation between the Californian and American populations.

“It means people are proud to be Californian more than they are proud to be American. It means that we’ve got their hearts and now we must convince their minds,” Marinelli said.

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.